Web TheFuselage.com

View Full Version : English teacher newbie

Dmcquickly
09-27-2005, 04:01 AM
I've been posting this on a few of the VIP threads, but keeping it limited to just a few so as to avoid cluttering up all your lives. Stop me if you've heard this one before...

Congratulations on the Best Show award! I never had a doubt.

I'm a high school English teacher, and every week of a new episode I show LOST in my classes. I started last spring. That story is told in almost excrutiating detail in my post under "Introductions." I won't repeat it here out of consideraton for your busy schedule, but it's over there on that thread if you'd like to hear about how I got LOST in school.

I use LOST in my class to show visual, uses of literary elements in our contemporary culture, and to discuss cultural references. A few of my students have also organized an after-school LOST activity club. That works great--gives about 2 dozen students who might not otherwise intermingle a chance to learn about each other. Privately, I regard that as a real-life reflection of one of the show's themes--community interaction.

As a result of showing this in my classroom, and word-of-mouth, you probably have about 300 new adolescent LOST fans from the past year or so. Apparently, among most of them, the season 1 DVD has become Christmas Present Request #1.

So that's it--aside from enjoying the show as entertainment...well, let's be frank, I'm addicted--I thought you and the others behind this masterpiece would like to know that at least in one part of the world, LOST has made it into the classroom as an exemplar of literature in modern culture. And to say thanks for staunching the bleeding of contemporary culture.

It makes learning about literature from dead white guy books much more palatable for students.