Web TheFuselage.com

View Full Version : Q for JJ - from an actor

JL_theactress
09-29-2005, 01:28 AM
Greetings! First of all, thank you for creating what turned out to be my two favorite shows - Alias and Lost. The plots and characters are so intriguing and wonderfully complex - every moment is exhilarating. Thank you for your gifts

Not only am I a fan, I am a 26-year-old actress who is attempting to crossover from the stage to television and film. I've taken courses in acting for the camera in college, and I learned that the differences between acting styles and methods for the stage vs. on camera are extreme - and I must say, after a lifetime of stage acting, I am thrilled to come into this new genre - it's completely refreshing! I feel like I've been open up to a new world of possibilities.

As I was watching the audition tapes on the Lost Season 1 DVD, I began thinking about how a television or film director/casting director comes to select their cast. It was obvious on the DVD that each actor has got a special something, a star power that you can't teach someone how to achieve - they just have "it."

So I have a few questions for you about the audition process: What do you look for when casting actors - what specific things do the actors you cast have to possess? Are there any pet peeves you have when it comes to actors and auditions? How does an actor get their headshot/resume out the large stack of submissions and onto your desk - what do you look for in a headshot/resume?

If you have time, and you could answer even just one question, that would really be wonderful. I have been in the theatrical business for a long time, and I know what directors/casting directors are looking for when it comes to the stage. But I'm still trying to find my way into the minds of television and film directors/casting directors. Any guidance you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much for your time. And again, thank you for your creative efforts - Alias and Lost. I'll be watching.

Sincerely,
Jennifer
JL_theactress@email2me.net